In celebration of 10 years of award-winning river cruising, AmaWaterways rolled out the red carpet for the company’s gala held on Sunday, July 22 near its headquarters in Chatsworth, California. From caroling through Europe’s cobblestone streets to exploring Africa’s exotic Chobe River, AmaWaterways continues to lead the industry by providing an opportunity for its guests to explore over 20 countries.
“In the past 10 years, river cruising has evolved faster than it ever has previously,” said AmaWaterways Founder Rudi Schreiner. “I love to travel and when we started AmaWaterways, we wanted to create an experience that, as travelers, we would want to have. We broke new ground, not only in the way we sell river cruises, but also in how our itineraries, technology, amenities and services allow travelers to experience the world in a new way.”
To mark this auspicious occasion, employees and travel partners joined AmaWaterways founders Rudi Schreiner, Kristin Karst and Jimmy Murphy to celebrate and toast the future success of the company. AmaWaterways co-founders were presented with a framed photo of the river cruise line’s latest ship, the AmaCerto. The photo was signed by members of the top river cruise line’s staff and will be displayed at the company’s headquarters.
“We are incredibly grateful of our wonderful staff, fantastic travel partners and worldly passengers that have helped make AmaWaterways a success over the past 10 years,” said AmaWaterways Executive Vice President and Co-Owner Kristin Karst. “I can’t wait to see what the next ten years hold.”
Schreiner, Karst and Murphy set out to raise the standard of river cruising when they created the company in 2002. Through constantly updating its ships, adding to its complimentary shore excursions and services, and using the latest in technology, AmaWaterways has redefined the concept of luxury river travel.
Highlights from AmaWaterways first 10 years include:
- Purchase of 11 custom, state-of-the-art river cruising ships
- Industry-first themed cruises like the Jewish Heritage itineraries on the Danube River and the Wine Themed sailings on the Danube, Rhine, Seine, Douro and Rhone Rivers
- Expanding its presence outside of Europe to also include sailings in Russia, Portugal, Vietnam & Cambodia and Africa
- Opening of the ODA Free Village English School in the province of Siem Reap, Cambodia in association with the Orphans and Disabled Arts Association
- Recipient of numerous awards such as: Condé Nast Traveler’s “Top 20 River Cruise Ships,” TravelAge West’s WAVE Editor’s Pick Award for “Best Overall Cruise Line for River Cruising,” Travel Weekly Gold Magellan Award for “Overall River Cruising,” and Porthole Cruise Magazine Reader’s Choice Award for “Best River Cruise Line,” among many others
- Launching industry-leading amenities like twin balconies, complimentary ship-wide Wi-Fi, shore excursions with no additional cost, free-flowing beer & wine at meal times and bicycles to be used to explore each destination
- The only river cruise line that was invited to join one of the world’s most prestigious culinary organizations, La Chaine des Rotisseurs
AmaWaterways’ ships continue to lead the industry with spacious staterooms and suites, Gold-Medal dining, the latest in-room furnishings, flat-panel TVs and individually controlled air-conditioning. Passengers can stay connected aboard AmaWaterways’ ships with complimentary Internet & Infotainment System with Hollywood movies. Other amenities include massage and beauty salons, swim-up bars, sun decks, twin balconies, French balconies and on-board entertainment. For passengers wanting to explore the serene paths along the rivers, AmaWaterways offers a fleet of bicycles onboard.
Founded in 2002 by river cruise pioneer Rudi Schreiner, river cruise executive Kristin Karst and founder of Brendan Vacations, Jimmy Murphy, AmaWaterways is the premier river cruise line on Europe’s Danube, Rhine, Main, Mosel and Rhône rivers. Known for its custom-designed ships, extensive complimentary amenities and personalized service levels, AmaWaterways consistently leads the way in river cruising. With destinations traveling through Europe, Russia, Vietnam and Cambodia, and new voyages to Africa and Portugal the line’s award-winning fleets compliment a variety of travel plans.
The Europe fleet includes the AmaPrima (2013); AmaCerto (2012); AmaVerde (2011); AmaBella (2010); AmaLyra (2009); AmaDolce (2009); AmaCello (2008), AmaDante (2008); AmaLegro (2007) and the AmaDagio (2006). In the spring of 2012, AmaWaterways introduced the new 164-passenger AmaCerto in Europe, joining the AmaVerde and AmaBella in offering an exclusive Twin Balcony design in the majority of staterooms; multiple dining venues; complimentary Internet and Infotainment system, a heated swimming pool or whirlpool on the Sun Deck plus many more unique design elements.
In addition to the European destinations, AmaWaterways offers the separate and distinct AmaVoyages to Vietnam and Cambodia via the AmaLotus (2011) and the La Marguerite (2009); Russia via the AmaKatarina (2011); Portugal via the AmaVida (2013); and Africa via the Zambezi Queen (2009).